Happy belated birthday wishes to keerawa and lyria_theringer. I hope you each had a wonderful day and will enjoy a terrific year to come!
A few quick notes:
* The first volume of the highly anticipated The History of the Hobbit by John Rateliff (the equivalent of The History of Middle-Earth for The Lord of the Rings) is now available - ahead of schedule!
* EW.com has ranked The Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies and TV from the Past 25 Years. I'll be honest: when I found Starship Troopers on the list, I stopped reading.
* The finalists have been announced for this year's Sidewise Awards for works of alternate history.
* The Science Fiction Research Association has announced that Algis Budrys is recipient of this year's Pilgrim Award, which honors lifetime contributions to SF/fantasy scholarship, and Michael Levy is recipient of this year's Thomas D. Clareson Award for Distinguished Service.
* Native American author and professor Debra Magpie Earling has won a coveted Guggenheim Fellowship.
His head was swimming, and he was far from certain even of the direction they had been going in when he had his fall. He guessed as well as he could, and crawled along for a good way, till suddenly his hand met what felt like a tiny ring of cold metal lying on the floor of the tunnel. It was a turning point in his career, but he did not know it. He put the ring in his pocket almost without thinking: certainly it did not seem of any particular use at the moment. He did not go much further, but sat down on the cold floor and gave himself up to complete miserableness.
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit