I will be online while I'm away, but I want to go ahead and wish all of you who celebrate it a happy Fourth of July. Also, happy early birthday to archaic_angel; may you have a fantastic day and wonderful year to come!
A few quick notes before I go:
* AMC has announced casting news for the six-part mini-series remake of The Prisoner (with ITV Productions and Granada International) slated for 2009.
* R.I.P. Don S. Davis (1942-2008), veteran of such genre series as Stargate SG-1 and Twin Peaks, who will always be Captain William Scully from The X-Files to me.
* The livelongnmarry fandom-sponsored auction starts today and closes on July 15. Items up for auction include autographed books by marthawells, Peg Kerr, Pamela Dean, and Steve Berman, fan fiction, original stories, handmade custom jewelry, knitted clothing, baked goods, original art, fan art, and story critique services, among other things.
* Thanks to new suggestions and discoveries, I have updated my working list of recommended young adult dystopias. (Please let me know if you know of other titles or series that I have missed that were written specifically for YA readers. Many thanks!) Those with asterisks I've already read and highly recommend. FYI!
Recommended Young Adult Dystopias
Bad Faith by Gillian Philip
The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn
The Books of Ember by Jeanne Duprau
The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
The Declaration by Gemma Malley
The Far Side of Evil by Sylvia Engdahl
Feed by M.T. Anderson
The Fire-Us Trilogy by Jennifer Armstrong and Nancy Butcher
* The Giver Trilogy by Lois Lowry
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormier
The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick
Life As We Knew It and The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
* Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
* The Missing Person's League by Frank Bonham
Rash by Pete Hautman
The Shadow Children Sequence by Margaret Peterson Haddix
* Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White
The Secret Under My Skin by Janet McNaughton
Sharp North and Blown Away by Patrick Cave
The Silenced by James DeVita
Stolen Voices by Ellen Dee Davidson
* The Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle (dystopian elements)
The Tripods Series by Samuel Youd
* The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden
The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien
"Live in each season as it passes: breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit."
– Henry David Thoreau