- The end of October will be a week-long Harry Potter Fest at Lenoir-Rhyne University. I will be speaking, my friend and colleague John Granger will be speaking, and we will be speaking together; in addition, there will be film viewings, a live quidditch match, costume contests, and a wizard rock concert. It should be great fun! I'll post the scheduling details as the dates draw near.
- In other Harry Potter news, J.K. Rowling will be appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show this Friday.
- Lois McMaster Bujold's new Vorkosigan novel, CryoBurn, was well worth the wait. (Thank you again, lbilover!) I'm still recovering from the ending, which continues to haunt me.
- If you're a dog lover and you haven't watched OK Go's music video for "White Knuckles," go watch it now! (And if you have seen it, here's an excuse to see it again. You know you want to.)
- Editor Lavie Tidhar has announced the Table of Contents for The Apex Book of World Science Fiction, Volume II. The first volume was excellent, and this one promises to be, as well.
- If you want to hear a terrific discussion between two giants of SF, check out Frederik Pohl and Jack Vance in conversation here with StarShipSofa.
And speaking of StarShipSofa, the second volume in its Stories collection will be out next month:
"It was a hopeless thing, he thought, this obsession of his to present the people of the Earth as good and reasonable. For in many ways they were neither good nor reasonable; perhaps because they had not as yet entirely grown up. They were smart and quick and at times compassionate and even understanding, but they failed lamentably in many other ways.
"But if they had the chance, Enoch told himself, if they ever got a break, if they only could be told what was out in space, then they'd get a grip upon themselves and they would measure up and then, in the course of time, would be admitted into the great cofraternity of the people of the stars."
- Clifford Simak, Way Station