- Thanks to lizziebelle for today's spooky picture!
- Thanks also to everyone who took part in yesterday's poll. It's still open, if anyone else would like to participate.
- From BoingBoing: "How to Make a Sock Cthulhu." I want one! (Thanks to wellinghall.)
- One of my favorite contemporary poets, Ann K. Schwader (ankh_hpl), has a new dark poem just in time for the season: "Quiet in Her Mind."
- Strange Horizons is holding a fund drive, with an impressive list of prizes.
- The World SF Blog is offering a great discount on a truly noteworthy anthology, The Apex Book of World SF.
- Apex Book Company is having a Halloween sale and contest.
Next, the fabulous H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society has released a new trailer for its forthcoming film adaptation of Lovecraft's The Whisperer in Darkness:
Text of the Day: This story was nominated for the Hugo Award in 2010, and it's perfect for our Halloween countdown. Enjoy "The Bride of Frankenstein" by Mike Resnick (1942-present).
What am I doing here?
We have no servants, we never go out, we never have company. The furniture is all decrepit and ugly, the place always smells musty, and although the rest of the village has electrical power, Victor refuses to run it up the hill to the castle. We read by candlelight and we heat with fireplaces.
This is not the future I had envisioned for myself.
Read the complete story here.
Listen to the story narrated by Julie Davis for Escape Pod here.