1. Tremendous thanks to all of you who took part in my poll about my October posts. (It's still open, if you wish to participate.) I really appreciate your feedback! My countdown will indeed be appearing here in October, and I truly hope you enjoy it.
2. Students from five different continents are enrolled for my "Science Fiction, Part 1: From Modern Beginnings through the Golden Age" course for Mythgard Institute, and I couldn't be more thrilled! Registration is still open for this class, and it's also still open for my one-time live lecture event on "The Hunger Games and the Science Fiction Tradition."
3. Happy early birthday to roo2, darthsindel1981, ceosanna, amygrech, dormannheim, super_chik, dement1a, and funkyturtle. May all of you enjoy many happy returns of the day, my friends!
The Fall 2012 semester begins for me next week, so I feel the need to get my ducks in a row.
What I'm Teaching - Fall 2012
- "Science Fiction, Part 1: From Modern Beginnings through the Golden Age" for Mythgard Institute
- "100 Years of Literature about Single-Sex Worlds" for Lenoir-Rhyne University
Where I'll Be - Fall 2012
- "The Hunger Games and the Science Fiction Tradition," a live "Looking Back on Genre History" HoloDeck lecture sponsored by StarShipSofa, online event
- 2012 Free Minds Film Festival at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Talk: "The Trail of Tears: They Knew It Was Wrong and The Soviet Story" (appearing virtually)
- The McConnell Center at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky
Talk: "The Trail of Tears through Cherokee Eyes"
(Also directing student seminars on 1) "The Politics of The Hunger Games" and 2) The Road to Serfdom)
- Potterfest 2012: A Harry Potter Celebration at Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, North Carolina
Talk: "Finding Dumbledore's Mother: Harry Potter's (Native) American Context"
- Catawba County Executives Club Meeting in Hickory, North Carolina
Talk: "'I Take My Life in My Hand': A Tale of Two Cherokees and the Trail of Tears"
- Broken Arrow Senior High Homecoming in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (receiving the Great Graduate Award from The Broken Arrow High School Alumni Association)
"If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?"
- Steven Wright