Random publishing shout-out:
I adore what the University of Nebraska Press is doing with its "Bison Frontiers of Imagination" Classic Science Fiction series. Wonderful stuff. Hats off, as well, to Wesleyan University Press and its Early Classics of Science Fiction series. Yum.
And now, for the writers on my flist:
Apex Digest Halloween Short Fiction Contest
* Theme: Alien Witchcraft
* Deadline: October 15st, 11:59 p.m. EST
* Word Count: 2,500 words or less
* Submissions Address: email@example.com
* Entry Fee: Free to subscribers, or through the purchase of one Apex Publications product...see the website for additional details.
* Prizes: $200 + at least $400 in goodies...see the website for additional details.
Revolution Science Fiction Clarion Schmarion Fiction Contest
* Theme: Suffice it to say that it could be sci-fi, could be fantasy, could be something in between, off the charts or simply on the fence. About all RevSF really cares about is that it comes in at no more than 5,000 words, and that you include a paragraph explaining how it was or would be dissed at a Clarion workshop.
* Deadline: October 1, 2006
* Submissions: E-mail submissions in RTF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Clarion Schmarion Submission:" and the title of your story in the subject line.
* Entry Fee: None
1st place: A RevolutionSF/Sci-Fi Mojo T-shirt plus a grab-bag of books.
2nd place: A grab bag of books.
3rd place: A giant collection of probably worthless (but look how pretty) CrossGen comics that they sent ages ago when RevSF were doing a promotion with them before CrossGen, um, died.
Words can be like X-rays, if you use them properly -- they'll go through anything.
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World